Recent Observations

by - Wednesday, December 26, 2007

- Recently, one of my men here told me that his family had spent two thousand dinars for a camel that was offed during the Aid el Kabir celebrations. Two thousand dinars? That's like the price of a used car. Imagine killing your car and roasting the spark plugs for Christmas. I have also been told that the price of a sheep is around 150 dinars, about two hundred bucks.

- At the airport where I work, there are cats all over the place. These must be the toughest animals alive. I've seen cats dodging cars everywhere in the world, but these cats are strolling across runways as if they were merely patrolling their territory, which I suppose they are. And I still don't think I have seen a single roadkill in the area, even on the runway. How's that for adjusting?

- The guards here crack me up. Not only could they care less about their duties, but we have one that keeps peeing in our backyard. I once caught him doing it, and when he saw me he jumped. Gives new meaning to the expression 'yellow streak'.

-Favorite Jack Handy quote:
"It is true that whenever a bell rings an angel gets his wings. What they don't tell you is that whenever you hear a mousetrap snap an angel is set on fire."

- Believe it or not, I can't wait until the holidays are over. It has nothing to do with me being a grinch or anything, although that used to be the case. Now it's the punishing hangovers I can't stand anymore.

- I know this is 2007 and I should be marveling at our most recent technological advances, but if there is one thing I still can't stand then it's a singer laying down his own backing vocals. The singer must really like the sound of his own voice. Who was his inspiration, Howard Cosell?

- After we accidentally broke our son's walker, we bought a new one shaped like a car, complete with the headlights, wheel and everything. What I did not count on was my son grabbing my head and slamming it down on the dashboard. That's quite a capacity for violence, I have to admit.

- One year left for the Bush Administration. I bet they will go out with a bang. Don't be surprised if we do attack Iran. And consider Scooter Libby pardoned.

- Still can't believe that England failed to qualify for Euro 2008 (soccer). That's a collective cheer from the police forces anywhere in Switzerland and Austria. The only ones who will regret the absence of the English soccer fans will be the liquor stores.

- There's a really cute young kitten that I would like to adopt. The reason I won't is that it never shuts up. I wonder how it manages to sleep.

- Saturday Night Live is still so pathetic I have to wince. No, I don't expect them to be Eddie Murphys, Chevy Chases, or Dana Carveys. But you know you have a problem when these sorry ass actors are the only ones to bust up at their own 'jokes'. I know about the writers' strike, but these guys on SNL have been on strike for a decade now.

Tune in next time when I review some of the worst news stories ever printed.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive