Workout

by - Tuesday, January 15, 2008

As you would expect from an Embassy (especially if it's American), our complex too has a gym. Not the state of the art, ultra modern demi shopping malls you would find in the US, mind you. In fact, I could easily name three or four fitness centers in Amman that would make our little gym look like a sandbox for toddlers. That said, our gym has most of the current equipment and has more than served its purpose during my stay here. There are weights, both free and hydraulic, and pretty solid cardio machines (stairmasters, bikes, treadmills) to complete your workout. Of course, there are also two TV sets that will show anything AFN has to offer. It is not the biggest place. In fact, I would say that it is roughly half the size of your standard swimming pool.

One of the perks of using the gym is that you get to share it with the locals. It would be pretty boring if you could tune everything out and actually imagine you were back in the States, wouldn't it? If you're not watching AFN, some of the workout habits of some of the locals make for some pretty interesting viewing in itself. These are the types of locals using the gym:

1. The Fitness Freaks

If you've seen one, you've seen them all. Fitness freaks are not just a product of the west. Some of these guys here can pump just as much iron making half as much noise and work out just as hard as anyone at your local gym in Suburbia, USA. What's more, you can bank on the fact that those muscles came from working out and that steroids here are harder to come by in this area than a driver following the rules on the road. Some of them will mix it up with cardio training, but most of them are there to lift and impress themselves and maybe the odd girl here or there. And since the room is entirely surrounded by man-length mirrors, stealing a quick peak at some of the ladies is easier than kicking a cripple.

2. The Regulars

What is the difference between the regulars and the freaks? The proof is in the pudding, or to build on that analogy: the freaks don't eat it, the regulars will eat too much of it. I have literally seen regulars here who are overweight and have remained overweight during the one and a half years I have spent here. Some of it is flawed technique that they use with any given fitness instrument. Others just throw out caution once they leave the gym and pork away at the dinner table to their hearts' desire. These people will never pass for, or look like, fitness freaks unless plastic surgery provides them with a passable alibi. Maybe their goal is to prevent them from blowing up like the Goodyear blimp.

3. The Women

These are as rare as a yarmulke in a mosque. Women in the Middle East, as most people can imagine, don't expose their skin that easily, regardless of where they happen to be. I have seen women work out with their headscarves still on, sporting long pants (jeans are not uncommon) and their work shoes. It all looks very odd and rather uncomfortable, but that's their culture. I don't quite recall what women do when they go for a swim here.

Among the Americans, you won't find as many regulars, but they are no less devoted to staying in shape. Well, most of them at least. I have seen a couple of women literally spend an entire hour discussing restaurants in the vicinity. Just like with people frequenting the Church of Scientology, I have no idea whatsoever what their motivation is. There is even one regular (a local) who managed to gain weight while allegedly using the gym five times a week for the better part of a year. Maybe it's just me, but I think this guy should stay away from the gym. 

Then there is this new 'in-gym' down the road. This place is simply incredible. There is an indoor track (with the standard length of 400 meters) encased by glass for running laps that gives the runners a nice view of Amman outside while also affording any pedestrians outside to watch the athletes as they jog by. That's a little too much for me, I think. If I want to be a goldfish I'll just become a Hindi and hope for the thrill of having gills in my next life. The facilities and showers are gigantic, though, and I don't think the 24/7 gyms I remember from my So Cal days could compete with them. It seems to me these guys will receive a buyout offer from one of the corporate chains any moment now. This is where people buy memberships these days. My wife and I had lunch there once, and it was superior, as you would expect. Not bad, except that I can use my gym for free.

There is only one thing that drives me crazy, and that's the janitors cleaning the place. Sometimes they will leave the dressing room's door wide open, whether or not anybody happens to be changing in there. Or if the janitor is cleaning the machines he will do yours as you are working out. Mercy, mercy. This is when I would like to take their heads and jam them between the weights of some of the hydraulic machines. I guess sometimes you get what you paid for, eh?

You May Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive