Minneapolis, last Day
With our new scooter super power, Bash and I decide to terrorize Minneapolis. We blaze up to the Mississippi River. Again, we're using a trail that shares it with bikes and and the occasional runner. Even for the weekend, it's not very crowded. Obviously, we need to keep an eye on the phone, the GPS that is guiding us. A couple of quick pictures, plus a couple we take of tourists at their request, and we're off again.
We feel drunk with power over our one horse-power electric engine, we'll even take it to the ballpark. It is beach towel night as the Minnesota Twins take on the Houston Astros. There are lines of fans packing the sidewalks, all Twins fans. They, too, want that beach towel.
The thing I remember most about Minnesota Twins baseball was their ballpark, the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in Minneapolis. Ugly, that thing. But I do remember how loud it was there. The Twins won the World Series in 1987 and 1991 (didn't have to look that up) with players like Kirby Puckett, Kent Hrbeck, Gary Gaetti, Frank Viola, plus their manager, Tom Kelly. The Minnesota Twins went 8-0 in World Series home games, and it's still easy to see why. Twins fans make the right kind of noise, not the public execution barking you hear from other ballparks we won't name here (Philadelphia, New York, and Boston, come on down).
I wasted a grand opportunity that night at Target Field, the Twins' new home, and I still regret that. After early resistance by the home team, Houston roared out to a 13-5 lead. Bash and I shrugged, got up and left during the eighth inning. This is it, we thought, this goose is cooked. It's best to try to beat what little traffic there is in this town. It later turned out the Twins would go on and score seven runs in the bottom of the ninth. Final score: Astros 13, Twins 12. I missed a golden opportunity at hearing those fans really rev it up.
Yeah, Bash and I cried all the way to our scooters. At sixteen miles per hour, we roar back into town, park our scooters and walk the last half mile using the skyway for one last time. We jog a little, a kid outside on the sidewalk below sees this and chases us a while before his mother catches up to him and pulls her son firmly away from all traffic, pedestrian included. We wave at him through the glass windows. Bye, kid.
Minneapolis was superb, we agree on the train back to the airport. Of course there's a couple on the train wishing us the best, come back again, and be safe. Bash and I never left the city, yet it felt like we were in the country. We still saw lakes and woods, all from the comfort of our Lime scooters. We went to the art museum, we went to a Twins game. we came to do a DIY Replacements tour. A great, great place with even better people.

0 comments