Florida, II

by - Friday, September 09, 2022

Our trip is pretty straightforward. Eight hours to Orlando, where we will attend a concert, plus enjoy some other goodies over Labor Day weekend. The great thing about Orlando is that the city is wonderful even without the theme parks. With the billions of annual tourist dollars, Orlando doesn't have to skimp. Wherever I go with the dog, it seems there is always a lake with plenty of green space.
 
Jade and I walk the mile and a half to the Universal Resort, and the place just feels right. The sky, the magnolias, the lakes and ponds everywhere. Sure, the mugginess takes a swipe at you first thing in the morning, but the place is humming with traffic. We eventually converge with the tourists at some point past Kirkman. Most of the tourists are staying at the Roundtree. I am the only person with a dog, so that people could easily get the impression that I am just a local taking Rover around the block. But I am the same as the tourists: just happy to be there, as Jade and I stroll along the waterways toward the resort.
 

There is the Loews Portofino Hotel with its European-themed buildings. From across the lake, it almost appears like I'm looking at a Venetian suburb, with the water and bridges to boot. So far, the star attractions in Orlando are the air, the plants, and the resorts. I choose to forego the Hard Rock Hotel, Jade and I pass the place, but I am still in awe over how marvelously the grounds are kept. One botanic wonder gives way to another, this time a rose garden outside of the Hard Rock Hotel. The wave of tourists swells now to tidal, but Jade and I swim along until we reach the security entrance at Universal.

I locate the Hard Rock Cafe, where the concert will be later in the evening. As with every building at Universal, the Hard Rock jumps out of the ground, one of many jack-in-the-boxes in this area that can't be ignored. While I chat with the security guards, the tourists mug Jade and take selfies with her. That plays right into Jade's paws, and she is a willing participant. I've rarely seen an animal hamming it up for the camera the way Jade does. Jade and I turn around, satisfied that I found what I came here for. 

On our way back, a couple of boats filled with tourists pass us. I wave at them, while the dog flashes them a welcoming smile. I'm on that boat, too, just drinking it all in. 

You May Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive