The 10 coolest States in the U.S.A.

by - Sunday, December 08, 2013

While we are still between assignments after having left Bolivia, my contributions to this blog will have to remain limited to any sites within the United States. Not necessarily a bad thing: the U.S. is truly a beautiful country, and all 50 states have their merits, as I've noticed. Every state has those special places that are as outstanding as they are unique. I realize that, not unlike the Washington D.C. post, this list is quite biased and subjective, although I am always willing to listen to dissenters. It's only fitting, since we are talking about the U.S., right?

On another note, I can't include either Alaska or Hawaii, since I haven't had the pleasure to travel there yet. So if Hawaiians and Alaskans submit any protest, it is their right to do so, which is why this list should more aptly be named the coolest states of the continental U.S. Thanks to at least a half a dozen cross country trips, I have been to every state on the continent. This post could easily read '10 favorite, 10 nicest, 10 most beautiful states', you name it. I know it's tough to reduce each state here to a couple of sentences, and I won't pretend to think that's the whole story of each one of them. Each site mentioned easily deserves a post of its own. Some I will know better than others, no doubt. See if you agree.

So here we go.

10. Texas  
Overall, Texas is a pretty decent package. It boasts the coast along the gulf. One of my favorite national parks is Big Bend in the western part of the state (if you can't get lost in Big Bend, then you will never be a hermit). San Antonio and Austin (live music!) are among my favorite cities, but it also has other nice little jewels like Fredericksburg. Here, size is actually better since you are more likely to find something you like in the state. God just might have blessed Texas.

9. Colorado
The western part of the state alone is worth its weight in gold. If anybody has ever had a ride through the Rockies, you will know what I mean. That's some beautiful, clean air to go with the stunning scenery. I like some of the smaller cities like Fort Collins and Boulder, although I will be the first to admit how little I cared for Aspen. The most unforgettable place I've seen is the Garden of the Gods outside of Fort Collins. And did I mention the Great Sand Dunes are here too? Denver is big, but not too big and is as modern as any American city. 

8. Oregon
The usual suspects like Crater Lake aside, just drive up and down the Oregon coast and you will see why Oregon deserves to be ranked here. If people like scenic drives, then you can't do better than the Columbia River Highway, which I have driven along myself. Anybody ever heard of Mount Hood? No? Besides being the highest mountain in Oregon, it's only the most climbed mountain in the U.S. This is America's answer to Ireland, only I like Oregon's mountains better. This might be the second most underrated state in the country, the most underrated being...

7. Washington
The second state of the Pacific Northwest in the countdown. Has anybody ever seen Mount Rainier or Olympic National Park? Look at Olympic NP alone:  how many national parks do you know have mountains, a rainforest and a coast all rolled into one? Never mind the cities, although I am very fond of Seattle and smaller cities like Tacoma. The nature part of it clinches Washington's ranking here. Just as unheralded are the state ferries that are part of the 'highway system' around Puget Sound. Ever camped in a yurt? May I suggest Cape Disappointment (and don't worry about the name)? Washington seamlessly flows into Canada and British Columbia, another beautiful area and best discussed in another post.

6. Utah
This was the state where I discovered U.S. national parks back in the 80's. Before writing a paper about national parks (I was a student in Germany), I was able to gather photos and data from Zion, Arches, and Bryce Canyon on visits there in '88. Admittedly, it wasn't all rainbows and unicorns. I was a little ambiguous toward people there. Sorry, but a great fraction of them were just not very friendly, as if every out-of-stater was some two-headed, six-legged alien out to get them. But then again, with nature this beautiful, we can make certain concessions here.

5. Virginia
What a place. Look at the coast, go more inland, and then take Route 29 to Washington. Virginia is the ideal mix of nature and urbanization, the perfect harmony of the modern and the more historic. Anybody ever hear about the Natural Bridge? Neither did I until I saw it and understood why it was declared one of the seven natural wonders of the world...and that doesn't even include the waterfalls and the caverns! I already wrote about Claytor Lake in a former post and was mesmerized by that area around the 81. Virginia has gorgeous towns like Charlottesville or Virginia Beach and just an overall excellent quality of life. 

4. Montana
If I were to rank states solely based on forests, rivers, and mountains, then Montana would stand on its own. Montana could easily make a claim to not only secede from the country but from the entire planet for its beauty. National Parks? It seems the entire state is a National Park! Yellowstone, Glacier National, The Lewis and Clark Caverns…and millions of acres of other unspoiled, pristine land that would be protected by the feds in any other state. The low temperatures during winter and autumn in Montana, however, will also indicate why the population will remain equally low, and why Montana will merely remain a well kept secret to most travelers. No need to fear population explosions there. Don't believe me? Just ask Canada.

3. New York
The state of New York as a whole is an incredible package. Two vacations I spent there remain unforgettable: one in the Catskills, the other along Lake Ontario. Towns like Albany and Syracuse have a lot of the old world feel about them, and I am not even mentioning New York City or Long Island here. Although NY can be freezing cold, I think it is has enough to offer to come back for easy and quick vacations. Don't forget the Hudson Valley and Niagara Falls, or museums like Cooperstown or Woodstock. A great overall value for your tourist's buck...unless you spend it all in the Big Apple before hitting the countryside.

2. North Carolina
Did I say I was biased? North Carolina is where I make my home now, and there are few places I know that equal Western Carolina for sheer beauty. But there's more than that. Asheville is an incredible small city, not to mention very progressive. I have spent time on the Outer Banks and plenty of time around Lake Norman. North Carolina is as complete a state as any.

1. California
All right, bring out the guns and start blazing away. This is where I will catch the most flack. I still believe no state (and probably very few countries) can match California. Cities? Got that. San Diego and San Francisco top my list here. Got beaches? Sure, where to start? La Jolla? Santa Monica? Santa Cruz? Plus, there's plenty of desert (Death Valley), plenty of wooded national parks (Yosemite), the Napa Valley, and numerous other little gems (Cleveland National Forest, Joshua Tree NP, San Luis Obispo, etc.) to make the visit to California interesting. And note that I haven't mentioned Hollywood, the San Diego Zoo or Alcatraz here.

That's the countdown. Let the discussions begin.

And tune in next time when I reveal our next assignment...and it's a dandy.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive