The Plane, Train, Automobile and Boat Trail

by - Friday, August 28, 2015

By the PTAB Trail, I am referring to a bike/hike/running trail most people know as the Mount Vernon Trail. That’s how I used to know it, at least. Back when I lived in DC, I would frequently seek out the trail on my weekly runs. The trail helped me in my intense preparations for the York Marathon, my first marathon ever. And it would also allow Liebi and I to hike out there every so often with a picnic basket and take in the sights from across the Potomac.


Since I lived either in DC or Arlington in my previous lives, I didn’t follow the trail all the way till the end—to this day, I don’t know if the trail ends or not. All I know is that my oxygen supply ran out before I was ever close to finding out. Logic says that the Mount Vernon Trail would lead to Mount Vernon, Washington’s house, the founding father of all founding fathers.

Out of sheer curiosity I just googled the Mount Vernon Trail and verified that the trail does, in fact, end at Mount Vernon and not some Bed and Breakfast in rural Virginia. A 17 mile paved cycling/hiking path. Got it. I don’t remember all 17 miles, but certainly most of them.

This time, coming from Crystal City, I would be running up the river, toward DC. Okay, then.

The first thing I notice is that the Mount Vernon Trail touches on a lot of streets. Some streets are little at first. Then come the big roads, as in interstates. It’s a necessary evil, but one you quickly get used to once you’re convinced that the cars driving on the 395 are harmless, their drivers for the most part potty trained and won’t jump the curb to get at you. The cars you can knock out even before you reach the path, as is the case with the bicycles…and you actually feel like it at times when people are not capable of keeping their bike within the broad paved path that is the trail. Wobble, wobble, wobble. Impeccable coordination, some of these cyclists have. Somehow I doubt there would be different results with them riding oversized tricycles. They also never get off and walk their bikes at the underpasses, even though the signs explicitly tell them to. But heck, it is called a hiking/cycling trail, I keep reminding myself.  The running part is in parentheses somewhere, as in invisible parentheses.

Running from Crystal City, the planes quickly follow. You get to run along the outskirts of Ronald Reagan Airport and wave at the passengers as they take off over the grounds to the north of DCA (the acronym for Ronald Reagan Airport). I remember it differently when I ran from DC to the airport. You could be running, running, and whoosh, before you know it there’s a plane taking off, as if it had been using the I-395 as a runway.

The boats quickly follow, because such are the ways of a big river like the Potomac. I spot a freight train crossing over a bridge about half a mile from the airport, thus completing the quartet of the main transportation methods.

The best way to run this trail? That depends. If you’re new in town and like to be treated to the Plane, Train, Automobile, and Boat Trail, then I would start by crossing the Memorial Bridge (if you’re in DC) and run all the way to the airport. That’s a pretty healthy run in itself. If you’re staying in Virginia, it’s easier. Just hit the trail near the river and run in either direction. You will enjoy the best views that way. There’s the Washington Monument on the other side of the river. Cloaked in cage (or scaffolds) is the Capitol, all to go with the water and your vehicle of choice.

Try it out some time. If you’re a visitor and like to get up for a good run, this would be the trail for it. Even with all of the exhaust fumes from planes, trains, automobiles, and boats.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive