Amsterdam

by - Wednesday, February 19, 2014

We finally leave the United States with another snowstorm on our heels, its full brunt not felt in the DC area until the next day. By then, we are in Amsterdam, safe and sound, which is just as cold when you add the wind chill factor, although relatively warm when compared to previous winters, according to the locals. I am completely unprepared for the cold, having left my winter coat behind in frigid DC. It’s a mistake I will pay for dearly.

Our arrival at Schiphol Airport is quick and efficient, and we actually arrive earlier than planned, including the mandatory security and customs checks. We locate the driver, load the kids, suitcases, and the cat into the van, and we are off.
It has been many years since I’ve last visited Amsterdam. As a student, Amsterdam was the convenient place to get stoned legally in its numerous coffee shops. This time around, I had two days, a wife and two kids, and would make the most of it, my drug of choice this time around Heineken on tap.
Amsterdam itself might just be the perfect modern European city. The architecture of the buildings can make the tourist freeze in his tracks. Add to that the charming canals running through the city, and it almost makes places like Venice look sick. The Dutch themselves are wonderful, warm people, which I had already known. According to Liebi, they are ‘like Germans, but friendlier’. Progressive, intelligent, and savvy, the Dutch are still capable of showing the rest of the civilized world how to be productive and laborious, albeit with a smiley face to match their efforts. Amsterdam might just have the most beautiful women in the world too, as even Liebi pointed out.
Our hotel is located near the Vondel Park, a fantastic urban park near the center of the city. There is a supersized cat sleeping in the lobby, which is par for the course. People who say everything is bigger in the United States haven’t been to Amsterdam yet. My guess is this cat skips the dry food and proceeds directly to the buffet table at the hotel. This cat looks like it could chase deer for breakfast.
The first thing the visitor will notice is the abundance of bicycles in the city! In a city like New York, it is easy to get run over by pedestrians or vehicles if the out of towner drags his heels. Amsterdam is the only other city where this is possible, I have now learned. Little wonder that New York used to be known as New Amsterdam. The only difference is that in Amsterdam, it will probably be a bicycle that will run you over.
Bicycle paths are all over the place. The cyclists are very mindful of pedestrians and I don’t witness any crashes, although there might have been a dozen near misses, probably including tourists on foot like myself. Of course, Amsterdam’s public transportation system isn’t too shabby either.
It doesn’t help that I can’t find my way around the city anymore, and I probably add a few more miles to my pedometer once I know where I am going. I have to walk quickly or freeze to death.
In the end, we spend a lot of time at the hotel, in particular because the kids need to overcome the jetlag. Liebi visits the Van Gogh House plus the Rijksmuseum while I take walks through the city, some with the kids, some without them.
In Amsterdam, there is only one place I want to visit during the short time I’m there, and it has nothing to do with art or architecture. Surprisingly, I missed this place before. I was determined not to miss it again.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive