Random Observations in La Paz

by - Friday, June 24, 2011

- In the past two days, I have already spotted three vehicles here in Bolivia with the digits 666. Either people are blissfully ignorant of the number of the beast, or they are blissfully ignoring its significance. I think I would be a little more superstitious in a town full of ravines, high cliffs, and a higher than average accident rate.

- While I was gone, our dog, Aunt Laverne was kidnapped and has yet to be returned. I am not too bothered by it, since we didn't have her long enough to get too attached. Also, Bolivians treat their canines pretty darn well. The one big winner from the dog's disappearance: the Ginger cat, Skinjbir. A prissy animal herself, I don't think there was anything that cat really hated until she met dogs.

- A transportation strike was averted here in Bolivia by the last second deal that was struck between the union and President Morales. That's one union you don't want striking. When the roads are virtually shut down, you are reminded of thugs taking hostages, except that this affects the entire city. I almost prefer the striking miners and their dynamite.

- Winter has started here in Bolivia, which doesn't really mean much, except that the nights are at around freezing point and you have no central heating. Looking out of the window now, I can see a bright sunshine and 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

- A couple of days ago, I saw a driver in his jeep, gripping his wheel and staring straight ahead, his eyes focused on the road. Could be one of a half a million drivers in La Paz, right? Not exactly, this man was actually upside down. Good thing he was wearing his safety belt. Though his vehicle had tipped over, he didn't appear to have a scratch.

- Less than two weeks back, I am having a harder time re-adjusting to the altitude than I'd expected. Back at sea level, I'd run 7-10 miles per day. Now I find it hard to walk up 7-10 stairs before getting the feeling the rug is being yanked from under me.

- Though I try to avoid sports on this blog, I was tickled to watch Dirk Nowitzki win the NBA Championship with Dallas. Gonzo, one of my oldest buddies in Germany, and I remember seeing a young teenage Dirk playing for second league team DJK Würzburg in what was then known as the Carl Diem Halle, now the S. Oliver Arena. You can't help but be proud of the native Würzburger. I sure am.

- I don't think I have ever seen a bigger Blues Brothers fan than my four year old. When I skyped with Liebi a month ago in DC, I saw Axl suddenly crowding the camera lense, complete with a black tie, sunglasses, and black hat.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive