Bolivia: Random Observations

by - Monday, January 10, 2011

-It took President Morales all of one day to discover that removing gas subsidies would not only spell the end of his political career but very likely the end of the country’s life. Can you imagine what would happen if Obama announced from one day to the next that all gas and oil subsidies would be gone in the U.S.? Can you spell depression?

-The rainy season started in December, now comes the brunt of it in January and February, at the tune of 4-5 inches per month. Businesses are already bracing themselves for workers’ days lost due to massive flooding.

-Bolivia has the hottest 75 degree days I have ever known anywhere. The hottest day on record is something like 81 degrees. Don’t let that fool you, should you ever visit this fine place. I guess it does make a difference if you are two miles closer to the sun. You need lotion here or you will burn, especially if you have white skin. We have all learned that the hard way.

-When I was shopping at Qetal Supermarket last week, the only German wine I happened to find was a Junge Franken white wine, aka as a Bocksbeutel – from Kitzingen, my hometown, would you believe it. It doesn’t matter how much you travel throughout this world, you will be reminded time and again of how small it really is.

-I still don’t understand the function of cholitas’ hats. It can’t be for protection against the sun, nor can it be for warmth, being that it doesn’t reach around the forehead. I guess it’s just for fashion. To view a cholita hat, go to this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39682981@N00/433869730

-I bought a red radio flyer wagon for the boys for Christmas. Whenever people see me pulling them on the sidewalk, the cars stop dead in their tracks. It could very well be that none of them have ever seen a red wagon before, although Liebi suggests that it’s the boys in the wagon really catching their attention.

-There are plenty of restaurants here that offer lama meat. I haven’t had the stomach (literally) to order it yet, although I suspect I will soon.

-The other day, I nearly ran over a priest in my neighborhood. Though the guy was a little startled, he nonetheless gave me absolution, drawing a sign of the cross in the air from the middle of the road where he was standing. Bless his heart.

-I have a new dance called the ‘Pooch Stomp’. I do this dance whenever I go running and stray wannabe alpha dogs try to attack me. Shoe to the head.

-During Christmas, I purchased different items to give away to the poor. I stuffed each bag with a bag of rice, a bag of dried beans, a can of sardines, an a powdered drink mix containing Vitamin C. Word of mouth spread quickly in our neighborhood, and we had cholitas line up here as if this were a soup kitchen. After a while I made it a policy to only give to women. Children were routinely turned away and asked to come back with their mothers.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive