Election Day

by - Thursday, November 06, 2008

People will really label me a goob after they read this, if they haven’t already. Yesterday I wore black. This was not to hide a sick and obese figure (my weight is actually ideal), nor was I dressing up as Johnny Cash for a belated Halloween party. Nobody I knew of died. And I wasn’t into one of my Peace Corps flashbacks, either. Of course any former volunteer will recall that dark clothes in the Peace Corps could be worn for several days without people detecting dirt or food stains. But those days are over.

Black was for the new president-elect, Barack Hussein Obama (since our media seems to insist on pronouncing his entire name, I might as well too). I do not wish to use this site to make profound political statements, but eight years of cringing, hand wringing, and the most gut wrenching, illogical politics executed seem to have been forgotten for at least one day. I remember waking up every day, seeing a picture of W (or anybody from that administration) and thinking, “Lord, get me out of this rabbit hole”. Even Groundhog Day must have been like the Garden of Eden to Bill Murray compared to the past eight years in the U.S. of W.

At Phora, or the American Club, the Embassy had pitched a huge beer tent (although only tea and coffee were served) and invited people to observe the outcome of the results. Embassy employees were warned to be very discreet about their political preferences as there would also be locals and other foreign nationals at hand. I couldn’t be bothered with that type of event. I wore a clamp for long enough, in particular in 2003 and the months leading up to the invasion of Iraq. I instead chose to do a regular workout at the gym. Not surprisingly, I was the only person there. Of course, this had the advantage of having the tube to myself. I switched to CNN International. The polls were surprisingly accurate, I noticed. No real surprises. The only question was going to be how large the winning margin was going to be for the Dems. I had predicted a final tally of 364, which might end up to be spot on, if North Carolina counts its provisional ballots and declares Obama the winner and the recipient of its 15 electoral votes. When that happens, I will give myself a big fat pat on the back.

I knew the race was over when Ohio was projected to go blue. That already gave Obama almost 200 electoral votes. Add to that the west coast states who would rather separate from the continent before voting for McCain in this election, and the victory was clinched. Following CNN’s projection of an Obama victory, a large roar erupted from the tent. Evidently this was a clear testimony of Embassy employees and what they thought of Uncle Sam’s zip-it policies.

Later I watched Deutsche Welle and BBC interview people around the globe. The responses given by the man and woman on the street were unanimous: Obama would make the world a better place. Now the US could be respected again, blah blah blah. They should have come to Kathmandu. People at the Club and throughout the city were huddling around computers and television sets to get the latest news about the presidential race. I don’t think the last World Cup or Olympics garnered that type of interest.

At Mike’s Breakfast (a restaurant frequented by Westerners mostly) later that evening, hundreds of people gathered for drinks and to celebrate the new President Elect. Songs were sung, Obama's acceptance speech was played, and locals and foreigners alike simply let it all hang out. I can only begin to imagine what the reaction to Obama’s victory was like in more significant capitals in the world, let alone the U.S. itself. If I had a ball in Kathmandu, just what were people doing in Grant Park in Chicago?

I am not sure what Obama will change, truth be told. I am not sure he can deliver on what he’s promised. I don’t know how far he can bend the ‘business as usual’ approach in Washington. Most people know better than that too, I am sure. What Obama has done, however, is give people hope again, which was so bitterly needed. He has my support, and I have never rooted more for any politician in my life.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive